Sr. Development Engineer
US, US, CA - San Diego
Minimum Level of Education Required: Bachelors Degree
Percentage of Travel: Up to 25%
Location: CA - San Diego
NuVasive is seeking an experienced Mechanical or Biomedical Engineer for our Sustaining Engineering team. Our team is part of a larger mechanical engineering group that focuses that utilizes extensive knowledge of mechanisms, engineering practices, mathematics, material science, and other physical sciences to create or improve implant and instrument systems designed for use in the OR. As a Senior Development Engineer, you’ll gain hands on experience to devise innovative product solutions to meet customer needs after commercialization. Technical activities include projects leading to product improvement and cost reductions.
- Interact with external teams, including outside manufacturers, raw material suppliers, and testing facilities, to solve technical issues/challenges
- Contribute documentation for support of project Design History Files.
- Gain cadaver lab/OR experience – support MVP’s (C-Arm training).
- Gain experience in aspects of product development process (Testing, Marketing, Quality, Regulatory, etc.).
- Perform duties in compliance with applicable FDA and state regulations as well as standards including, but not limited to, ISO 13485.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 3+ years of relevant experience.
- Previous CAD experience preferably Pro/E, Creo or SolidWorks.
- Strong ability to read and interpret documents such as drawings, safety rules, company policy and procedure manuals.
- Strong ability to understand and apply GD&T.
- Experience with manufacturing processes and design for manufacturing.
- Effective communication skills with strong confidence to present before groups of customers, vendors, peers, and leadership.
- Proficiency and knowledge in applying concepts of algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, geometric tolerances, and tolerance analysis in addition to ability to solve and interpret problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office with a strong ability to write business reports and correspondence as well as the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers, employees, and management of organization.
- Proficient in developing test plans, protocols/test scripts, and test reports.
- Experience in the healthcare industry, preferably medical device experience, ideally in orthopedics or spine.
- Previous manufacturing experience in metal machining, injection molding, or equivalent.
When applying to this role you will be completing a 15 – 20 minute assessment. Please make sure you have time to complete this assessment before initiating your application.
NuVasive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. The “EEO is the Law” poster options are available here.
NuVasive, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUVA) is the leader in spine technology innovation, focused on transforming spine surgery and beyond with minimally invasive, procedurally-integrated solutions designed to deliver reproducible and clinically-proven surgical outcomes.The Company’s portfolio includes access instruments, implantable hardware, biologics, software systems for surgical planning, navigation and imaging solutions, magnetically adjustable implant systems for spine and orthopedics, and intraoperative monitoring service offerings. With $962 million in revenues (2016), NuVasive has an approximate 2,300 person workforce in more than 40 countries serving surgeons, hospitals and patients. For more information, please visit www.nuvasive.com.