We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Prototype Machinist at our San Diego facility. NuVasive is an innovative global medical device company that is changing spine surgery with minimally disruptive surgical products and procedurally-integrated solutions for the spine. We are looking for a dedicated Swiss machinist.
You would be working in our very well-kept and climate controlled 5000 sq. ft. prototype machine shop located in Sorrento Valley. In our shop you'd be programming mostly one-off parts from basic designs to complex assemblies with some small production runs. Join our team if you're up to a challenging career with room for advancement in the medical device industry and want to be part of an exciting group that takes on new challenges every day so that people suffering from back pain can live a higher quality of life.
NuVasive offers competitive pay with an extensive benefit program that includes medical, dental, matched 401K, employee stock purchase program and more for the right candidate.
- Program, setup and operate 5 Axis Machining Centers
- Program, setup and operate 3 and 4 Axis Machining Centers
- Read and interpret engineering drawings and provide constructive feedback regarding manufacturability back to design engineers
- Perform preliminary inspection of parts and/or work with quality to ensure that they are within specified tolerances.
- Know most/all G&M codes for program prove-out & editing
- Trouble shooting and problem-solving skills with alarms/programs
- Loading and unloading programs into the machine
- Ensure the tooling in the machine match requirements of the tool list
- Gather fixtures, collets, tooling, and stops as needed
- Able to set up and run Haas machining centers
- Know formulas for spindle speed and feed rate
- Verify conformance of finished work-piece to specifications using various measuring tools such as: calipers, micrometers, depth micrometers
- Maintain organization and cleanliness, housekeeping and should maintain these areas at the highest degree possible and report any maintenance issues
- Stay on task and ensure current day scheduled work is completed on time
- Work with team to build and sustain safe working environment
- Follow all safety rules, report all accidents and unsafe conditions and wear all Personal Protective Equipment
- Drive quality compliance using line clearance requirements, good document practices and workmanship standards
- Confers with engineering, quality control, programming, or shareowners to resolve machining problems
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with all levels of the organization
- Help train and develop entry level machinists
- Use de-burring tools
- Perform other job duties as assigned
- Preferred knowledge of gages, calipers, and micrometers.
- Previous experience in medical device manufacturing a plus.
- Experience with Mastercam 2018 or OpenMind Hypermill
- Experience in true 5 and position type 5 axis programming
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience with programming multi axis milling machines including full 5 axis milling machines.
- Attendance and punctuality is required
- Hands-on experience with Mastercam 2018 CAM software to produce programs for 5 axis milling machines and 3 and 4 axis milling machines
- Understand, program and set-up basic to difficult programs
- Machinist: Experience w/Star and Citizen machine controls and G&M code programming
- Desire to learn and be cross trained