Senior Scrum Master
US, CA - San Diego
Minimum Level of Education Required: Bachelors Degree
Percentage of Travel: Up to 25%
Location: CA - San Diego
Work with scrum team(s) to ensure effective application of Agile practices and Scrum framework to project execution. Will model and promote Agile values and principles. Will advocate positive refinements in existing practices to create better alignment with agile principles, while getting to know NuVasive’s current portfolio mix.
- Guides the team and organization on how to leverage Agile/Scrum practices and values to maximize the delivery of business value.
- Acts to apply Agile/Scrum practices in a manner to best suit the needs of the organization.
- Tracks and leverages key metrics to champion team health, product delivery, and continuous improvement.
- Guides the team on applying self-organizing, self-corrective behaviors; analyzing and adapting to the feedback inputs (eg. Metrics, Sprint Reviews, Retrospectives, etc.), all for the purpose of building high performing teams.
- Removes impediments or guides the team to remove its own impediments
- Builds a trusting environment where issues are raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on correcting and problem solving.
- Facilitates the completion of assignments efficiently and without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Champions collaborative discussion, decision making, and problem solving.
- Assists with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- Coordinates and encourages participation from all team members in scrum ceremonies (Scrum, Backlog Refinement, Sprint Planning, Sprint Review, and Retrospective) and longer term planning exercises (Road Mapping, Release Planning)
- Supports and educates the Product Owner in applying the scrum framework and agile principles, and in particular the importance of refining and maintaining the product backlog.
- Continually enhances own domain knowledge of systems, products, and industry.
- Continually improve Scrum Master skills through education and engaging with fellow Scrum Masters
- Works with Product Owner and Team to plan and execute project implementations.
- Assists in the identification and mitigation of project risks.
- Provides Scrum Master services to multiple teams, when required
- Identifies and acts on coaching opportunities at the individual and team level
- Conducts regular assessments of a team’s Scrum Maturity and uses the results to guide them to improved performance
- Responsible for protecting, securing, and proper handling of all confidential data held by NuVasive to ensure against unauthorized access, improper transmission, and/or unapproved disclosure of information that could result in harm to NuVasive.
- Strong knowledge of Agile/Scrum principles and practices.
- Experience as a Scrum Master for a minimum of 5 years for a software development team that was applying Agile/Scrum principles and practices that are consistent with those at NuVasive.
- Strong JIRA experience.
- Experience with creating Scrum metrics and application of those metrics.
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Ability to anticipate issues based on experience to help the team avoid or resolve the issues.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including active listening.
- Knowledge of PC applications including MS Office products and TFS.
- Knowledge of common business applications and analytical tools.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with writing effective user stories and acceptance criteria.
- Proven mentoring skills.
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
- Applicable knowledge of the technologies used by the team.
- Scrum Master Experience in an organization during an agile transformation.
- Certified Scrum Master (Scrum Alliance).
NuVasive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. The “EEO is the Law” poster options are available here.
NuVasive, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUVA) is the leader in spine technology innovation, focused on transforming spine surgery and beyond with minimally disruptive, procedurally integrated solutions designed to deliver reproducible and clinically-proven surgical outcomes. The Company's portfolio includes access instruments, implantable hardware, biologics, software systems for surgical planning, navigation and imaging solutions, magnetically adjustable implant systems for spine and orthopedics, and intraoperative monitoring service offerings. With more than $1 billion in revenues, NuVasive has approximately 2,600 employees and operates in more than 50 countries serving surgeons, hospitals and patients. For more information, please visit www.nuvasive.com.