Sr. Manufacturing Engineer, Subtractive
US, US, CA - San Diego
Minimum Level of Education Required: Bachelors Degree
Percentage of Travel: Up to 25%
Location: CA - San Diego
As a Sr. Manufacturing Engineer, you’ll take an active part in early stage design and development of parameters, tooling, methods, and equipment with the objective of proving process feasibility and creating test parts. Our operations focus on traditional subtractive manufacturing (machining) of titanium, stainless steels, and PEEK.
You’ll review designs/prints in both the development and production phases to assure effective use of DFM/DFA/DFI. These reviews require interaction with cross-functional teams within Development/Design Engineering, Quality Engineering, QC/metrology, Programmers and Machinists to create designs and drawings that can be manufactured efficiently with high confidence of product meeting specifications.
- Review designs/prints in both the development and production phases to assure effective use of DFM/DFA/DFI. Reviews will require interaction with a cross-functional team that includes Development/Design Engineering, Quality Engineering, QC/metrology, Programmers and machinists to create designs and drawings that can be manufactured efficiently with high confidence of product meeting specifications
- Support transfer of design to production for product launch and manufacturing transfers to reduce overall product costs and mitigation of business risks
- Determine appropriate manufacturing methods and strategies to reduce costs and meet critical to quality requirements
- Identify validation strategies (e.g. IOPQ, GR&R) for processes and/or equipment. Create validation protocols and reports. Manage execution of strategy
- Support implementation of manufacturing changes that require qualification and/or validation of new equipment or processes
- Interface with suppliers on technical issues causing inefficiencies, waste or potential supply chain interruptions.
- Understand and use the Change Control Process.
- Lead CAPA process for non-conforming material reports, out of tolerance reports and product complaints that result from manufacturing issues
- Support other work of the Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Development, QE and QA Departments
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years related experience, or equivalent
- Strong ability to read and interpret complex mechanical drawings including advanced
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) applications
- Proficiency in Pro/E / Creo is highly desirable
- Effective communication skills with strong confidence to present before groups of customers, vendors, peers, and leadership
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office with a strong ability to write procedures and reports
- Advanced knowledge of metal manufacturing processes, especially CNC milling and turning of Titanium, Stainless Steels and PEEK. Other process knowledge including welding, anodization, blasting, laser marking, passivation and assembly is highly desirable
- CAD proficiency (Pro Engineer) preferred
- Experience leading projects on cross-functional teams
NuVasive is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. The “EEO is the Law” poster options are available here.
NuVasive, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUVA) is the leader in spine technology innovation, focused on transforming spine surgery and beyond with minimally invasive, procedurally-integrated solutions designed to deliver reproducible and clinically-proven surgical outcomes.The Company’s portfolio includes access instruments, implantable hardware, biologics, software systems for surgical planning, navigation and imaging solutions, magnetically adjustable implant systems for spine and orthopedics, and intraoperative monitoring service offerings. With $962 million in revenues (2016), NuVasive has an approximate 2,300 person workforce in more than 40 countries serving surgeons, hospitals and patients. For more information, please visit www.nuvasive.com.